Monday, February 18, 2019

The Wonderful Debt

Listen to this Ministry Message Moment

Now, I’m no fan of debt and have worked very hard to live without any outstanding bills, but, I must say, I love the liability Romans 13:8 (NIV) describes, “Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law”. What a wonderful dichotomy this verse extols about the only debt we each should maintain: the unending tab of compassion and lovingkindness toward one other.

This weekend, I read about the tragic life of actor Keanu Reeves (known for the Matrix trilogy and John Wick movies). As a child, his father left him and his mother. In his early career as an actor, a dear friend, River Phoenix, died, and years later, Keanu’s unborn child and wife also passed away (in separate incidents). In spite of all of these very heartbreaking events, Keanu shared that his heart’s desire is still to get married and have a family.

God provides this directive in countless scriptures like Romans 12:10 (NIV) “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves,” and Ephesian 4:2 (NIV) “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love”, yet it is not so much a command as it is a heart calling.

In grained deep within each of us is the God given need to connect with one another and with the Father Himself. When we love one another we demonstrate to all that we also truly love God.

(Prayer): Father, I am overwhelmed by your love for me and so fulfilled when I share your love with others. Help me continue to pay the debt of compassion that was so generously lavished upon me and in so doing fulfill your law. In Jesus mighty name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment