Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Imitation Admiration

Listen to this Ministry Message Moment

We often emulate those we admire. An old proverb (not from the Bible) proclaims, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. The Apostle Paul instructs us in 1st Corinthians 11:1 (ESV) to “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.”

When I was growing up my best friend and I would see a movie and then often find ourselves talking like the characters from the Film. When Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure came out in 1989 (Keanu Reeve’s first big role as a time-travelling teen) I walked around for weeks afterward talking like an airhead uttering phrases like “Excellent” and “Bodacious.”

At its core, imitation is simply a form of social learning, whereby we observe and replicate another’s behavior. A son watches his father and picks up phrases, body language and mannerisms. To this day, my sister and I can recall a memory of our late Mom by sharing a funny look she used to give us as kids. 

When the object of our imitation is someone we love, it becomes all the more easy to mirror their traits and qualities. Ephesians 5:1-2 (ESV) says, “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

The easiest way to replicate Jesus is to love one another, for when we do the world will truly know that we are sons and daughters of the Living God. John 13:35 (ESV) confirms, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
(Prayer): Lord may I be more like you. In Jesus precious name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment