Thursday, January 24, 2019

A Soft Word

Listen to this Ministry Message Moment

Proverbs 15:1 (ESV) advises us that “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” It is truly amazing how our simple choice of words (and tone) can escalate or diminish the nature of any discussion. When my wife and I are having a serious talk and I’m feeling a little feisty, I’m sometimes tempted to offer key responses that I know can truly change the course of our conversation. Thankfully, in most cases, wisdom prevails and I hold my tongue. When I don’t, it is like throwing fuel on a fire.

The Bible speaks often about the power of our speech and how we are to wield it carefully. Proverbs 18:21 (ESV) warns, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it eat its fruit.” There is so little in this world that we actually have the opportunity and power to influence, however, what we say and how we say it is an area, that if exercised wisely, can impact others with amazing results.


I’ll conclude with an encouragement from James 3:2 (ESV) “For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to also bridle his whole body.”

(Prayer): Lord, help me to be slow to speak, quick to listen and careful with my response. May my words be seasoned with grace so that all who may hear will be blessed and built up by the things I share. Thank you, in Jesus precious name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment