Thursday, May 2, 2019

Take Time to Train

Listen to this Ministry Message Moment
About six months ago, I started going to the gym, after nearly 3 decades without a fitness regime. It is quite inspiring and a little intimidating how dedicated some individuals (even older than me) are about maintaining their physical form. This truly is good for both a healthy body and mind, however 1 Timothy 4:8 (ESV) reminds us, “for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.”

So godliness is of greater value than even our physical exercise, but like going to the gym we also need to train our minds in order to better walk the walk of faith. 2 Timothy 3:16 (ESV) outlines that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,”

In order to truly excel in our Christian faith we need to pursue training in righteousness. This includes daily time in the Word for personal edification as well as some sort of organized group Bible study to both learn from and share your insights with others.

My muscles don’t get stronger just because I have a gym membership, but because I go there three times a week and lift heavy weights. It’s not always fun but the benefits, like regular prayer and time in the scriptures, provide a blessing I can enjoy every day.

[Prayer]: Father, help me to become a better student of Your Word. Teach me and train me daily to learn your ways so that I may grow stronger and better able to mentor others. In Jesus, mighty name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment